Logo

Welcome to the Polish Journal of Radiology

Szanowni Państwo,

Poniżej zamieszczone zostały informacje dotyczące  składki członkowskiej PLTR i prenumeraty "Polish Journal of Radiology"
  • Składka członkowska za jeden rok wynosi 200 PLN dla lekarzy i 20 PLN dla techników elektroradiologii
  • Składka dla rodzin radiologicznych wynosi dla drugiej osoby - 50 PLN bez zniżek   prenumeraty PJR z pełnym prawem przysługujących
  • Składka dla emerytowanych radiologów wynosi 100 PLN z prenumeratą PJR
  • Członkowie Honorowi PLTR - bez opłat... read more


Published: 2014-11-24

Odontogenic Inflammatory Processes of Head and Neck in Computed Tomography Examinations

Aleksandra Wabik, Barbara K. Hendrich, Jan Nienartowicz, Maciej Guziński, Marek J. Sąsiadek

(Department of General Radiology, Interventional Radiology and Neuroradiology, University Hospital, Wrocław, Poland)

Pol J Radiol 2014; 79:431-438

DOI: 10.12659/PJR.890808


Background: Infections of odontogenic origin are the most common cause of inflammatory disease of head and neck region. Computed tomography allows for defining localization and extent of inflammatory lesions, visualizes soft tissue involvement, presence of an abscess or an osteolytic lesion around causative tooth.
The aim of this study was to assess pathways, by which odontogenic infections spread into respective deep head and neck structures in computed tomography examination, taking into account the following criteria: frequency of involvement of respective deep cervical spaces, possibility to determine a probable causative tooth and concordance with the results of clinical examination.
Material and Methods: Thirty-eight patients cervicofacial inflammatory disease had undergone CT examination of head and neck region with a 64-slice CT scanner after intravenous contrast administration.
Results: Abscess was reported in 30 (79%) cases, while inflammatory infiltration was diagnosed in remaining 8 (21%) patients. There was full concordance between radiological report and intraoperative report In 33 cases (87%). The most commonly involved cervical space was masticator space – 31 patients (82%), followed by submandibular space – 27 patients (71%). Dental examination was impossible in 29 patient because of trismus. During analysis of CT studies we evaluated maxillary and mandibular alveolar processes for presence of osteolytic bone lesions around causative teeth roots and we found them in 30 cases (79%). In 32 cases (84%) cervicofacial infection were of mandibular odontogenic origin.
Conclusions: In most cases CT stud... read more

Keywords: Inflammation, multidetector computed tomography, Tooth



Related Articles (0)

Coming Soon...

Published: 2014-11-21

Left Ventricular Mass: Correlation with Fatness, Hemodynamics and Renal Morphology


Mateusz Wykrętowicz, Katarzyna Katulska, Agata Milewska, Tomasz Krauze

Pol J Radiol 2014; 79:426-430

DOI: 10.12659/PJR.891166

Published: 2014-11-18

Suprasellar Arachnoid Cyst with Spontaneous Intracystic Hemorrhage: A Rare Complication – Role of MR an...


Richa Arora, Aneel Kumar Puligopu, Megha S. Uppin, Aniruddh Kumar Purohit

Pol J Radiol 2014; 79:422-425

DOI: 10.12659/PJR.890992